How To Make Traditional Matcha Tea
On the beach in beautiful Vancouver Canada! My Matcha Life CEO Calli O’Brien shows us how to make a traditional matcha tea “North American” style.
Matcha tea comes in many grades, as there are many ways to make it! At My Matcha Life®, we sell a variety of matcha tea powders so you can create all kinds of matcha drinks and delights, including traditional matcha tea. Explore how to make traditional matcha tea to perfection, below!
What is Matcha?
Matcha tea is a popular drink that offers several health beneﬁts. It contains a small amount of caffeine that works in tandem with amino acids to boost your energy levels without causing you to crash or get the jitters. It also provides mental clarity, helping you to stay alert and focused throughout your day. Matcha tea is rich in nutrients like antioxidants, catechins, and L-theanine, which is a calm-inducing amino acid.
Matcha tea is also very versatile— it can be used on its own or added to all kinds of beverages, smoothie bowls, baking dishes, and more! It has a unique, earthy ﬂavor called Umami, which is somewhere between savory and sweet.
What Do You Need To Make Traditional Matcha Tea?
You need to gather several items to make the perfect cup of traditional matcha tea:
- A kettle to create hot (not boiling) water.
- Tea Lover’s Organic Ceremonial Matcha from My Matcha Life®. This powder is hand-picked during the ﬁrst ﬂush of spring and has an extremely smooth texture. The 1oz tin comes with thirty servings and is tested for lead and radiation.
- A bamboo whisk, also called a chasen. The chasen is a necessary component because it allows you to achieve the perfect froth.
- A whisk holder, which helps keep the umbrella shape of the whisk and protects it from damage.
- A matcha bowl or wide bottomed mug.
- A teaspoon
Once you have each of your ingredients, you’re then ready to create traditional matcha tea!
How Do You Make Traditional Matcha Tea?
Take the following steps to create a delicious cup of traditional matcha tea:
- Put a half teaspoon of Tea Lover’s Organic Ceremonial Matcha in your bowl. If you prefer a stronger taste, add about ¼ tsp more powder.
- Add 1oz of hot water to the bowl.
- Using your whisk, press the matcha against the sides of the bowl. Break up any clumps in the powder.
- Continue whisking until you create a smooth, thin paste.
- Add 2oz of water to the bowl.
- Whisk the mixture in a zig-zag motion (in a “W” shape) to create a froth.
- Vigorously whisk until you see a nice froth on the surface, then slow down, and get rid of any large bubbles. Gently remove the whisk.
- Now you can enjoy your traditional matcha straight from the bowl, or pour it into your favorite mug!
Order from My Matcha Life® Today!
We hope you enjoyed learning how to make traditional matcha tea! If you’re ready to make an excellent cup of matcha tea at home, order from My Matcha Life® today! We offer a wide variety of premium matcha teas that are of the highest quality. Also be sure to browse our available selection of matcha tea accessories. We want to ensure you have all the supplies you need to make an amazing cup of matcha. We look forward to serving you!