For pancake batter:
1/2 cup Buckwheat Flour
1/4 cup Millet Flour
2 tbsp Arrowroot Starch (Tapioca works too)
1 tbsp Foodie’s Matcha Tea
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened milk or milk substitute
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
1 Flax Egg (1 tbsp ground Flax meal + 3 tbsp water, let congeal for 10-15 min. in fridge)
Non-stick cooking spray
Matcha Buckwheat Pancakes (gluten free + vegan) recipe serves 2 hungry people.
1. Make your flax egg and put it in the refrigerator for at least 10-15 minutes to congeal.
2. In a large measuring cup, stir lemon juice into nut or hemp milk to create a “buttermilk.” Let sit to begin slight curdling. Add in vanilla extract and flax egg, and whisk until combined.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flours, matcha, starch, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and whisk until very well combined. Pour in wet ingredient mixture and whisk gently until consistent.
4. Heat up a griddle or skillet on medium-high heat (the pan is ready when a drop of water sizzles/evaporates on it). Spritz griddle with nonstick cooking spray, and pour pancakes on griddle. They are ready to flip when bubbles reach the surface and the surface looks like it’s just firming up.
- Greek Yogurt ( if you’re not vegan )
- Seasonal fruit: raspberries, pomegranates, etc.
- Cashew cream to top or layer in ( see below )
- Maple syrup for extra sweetness
How to make Cashew Cream
1 cup raw Cashews, soaked overnight/drained & rinsed
1/3 cup Water (depending on consistency preference)
1. Make cashew cream by combining cashews and water in a blender, puree until smooth.
2. Cover and place in refrigerator.
Photo and recipe courtesy Minna Lee.